Around the Homestead

Our weekend…


I can’t even begin to describe how much I love being home for four days a week.  It is so nice to be part-time now.  I have time to do so many of the things I’ve wanted to do, but never found the time.


We FINALLY got a kitten to keep our lone cat, Cooter company on Friday.  At first the little guy was just a pest to Cooter, but now they curl up together to sleep and play together chasing each other around.  The boys have to stay in our (unfinished) pool house unless we are outside.  We’re just too afraid of something happening to one of them.  Plus, our nights are getting cold enough it’s just as well there are inside where it is warm.




Spooky was really sick when my husband got him.  So he took him straight to the vet.  Of course, he had an upper respiratory infection, ear mites, and fleas.  I’ve never had to deal with fleas on an animal before, so this kind of freaked me out.  He have treated both the cats and will be treating our dogs (even though they have no direct contact with the cats) just for good measure.  Hope they are gone soon.  He yelps and scratches like crazy when he gets bitten by them.  It’s so sad to see him so uncomfortable.


Saturday, we loaded up six of our ram lambs and 42 of Dad’s ram lambs to take to the sale.  Very sad, but I’m just trying not to think about it.  It makes me so sad to think of them in a sale barn, etc.  Moving on….


A friend of my husband’s son went deer hunting and got a deer.  His family doesn’t like venison, so he gave the deer to us.  We just had to pay to have it processed.  Our neighbor is licensed to process deer, so that is handy.  We got 42 lbs of burger and 31 steaks, so that’s pretty good I thought.


Sunday, it stormed and we lost our power for 2-3 hours.  I was in heaven, but Randy was on the verge of meltdown.  Football was coming on at noon, and he was panicking.  Thankfully (eh hem) the power came on and only a few minutes of football were missed.  Whew!



We had dinner Sunday night at mom and dad’s and grandma came over to.  It was nice and really good food.  The jokes were pretty much on me for making cooking from scratch; making cream cheese, butter, baking bread, etc.  They do it out of love, I keep telling myself.  I could have a worse hobby, so I take it all in good fun.


Monday, I got up with Randy, made coffee, packed his lunch, and made him sit down for a quick breakfast.  As he was walking out the door he said, “I wish you could stay home everyday.”  I honestly think him meant it too.  I did all the morning chores, so he didn’t have to and the evening chores were done and dinner was made by the time he walked through the door.


I made two batches of cookies, made kefir, baked bread, and put together a meatloaf for dinner tonight.  Our refrigerator has issues where it freezes things on the top shelf.  For some dumb reason I put my kefir grains up there and they froze.  Not sure they will work now, does anyone know if they will work after they have been frozen?  Anyone know?


I also spent the weekend dehydrating tomatoes.  Roma tomatoes work the best.  Just slice them, salt them with sea salt, and sprinkle them with a little basil and they are good to go.



I did the Cook Along from Katie’s blog and will post it shortly.  I didn’t love the Roman Lentil Soup, but it was fun to try. 



Also have some pictures from our California trip to post.  Hope everyone is having a good week.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.